Handling of monumental works,
Monumental handling is an extremely complex operation. The moving of art works that sometimes weigh several tonnes, that may have non-standard dimensions and that may have been weakened by time, must be entrusted to professionals who have the necessary expertise and competence.
Our Bovis Fine Art colleagues, trained in heavy and delicate handling, know these “giant” works well. Aware that the slightest shock can break them, they have learned to handle them with rigour, patience and delicacy.
We also have a fleet of rolling stock and heavy handling equipment specifically adapted to monumental work.
OUR TRANSFERS OF MONUMENTAL WORKS
Sculptures and paintings
Historically, Bovis Fine Art is accustomed to handling and installing sculptures, statues and works of all sizes.
For these fragile, often large structures, each with its own characteristics, our strength and our difference lie in our ability to implement innovative solutions, adapted to each particular case.
We have carpentry and metalsmith workshops who can design all types of custom-made crates for all types of works. The two workshops are also able to combine their know-how (metal frames with wooden walls for example) to create resources adapted to the operations.
Our Fine Art technical manager works on the design diagrams (3D diagrams) to transmit the information to the departments concerned. These diagrams also allow us to validate the methodologies, to check the dimensions and measurements for the delicate passages and finally to give the clients a visual and thus a precise idea of the operations upstream.
Some examples of innovative solutions:
- The metal crate, designed in-house by our own metallurgists to secure and ensure the stability of the works. For example, we used this tool to transport the Bulls of Khorsabad in 1989 and the Emperor’s Barge between Paris and Brest in 2018-2019.
- The tilting table which makes it possible to handle very large crates in complete safety. We used it for the transport and installation of the “Baroque des lumières” exhibition at the Petit Palais in 2017 (crates over 4.50 m high).
- Trolleys with elevator that we have modified in-house. These are trolleys for the transport of picture crates that can be lifted a few millimetres from the ground to facilitate movement and allow the circulation of works in areas with complicated or delicate access, while maintaining the safety of the work.
Handling method for a monumental work
Thanks to our unparalleled expertise and experience in handling monumental art works, our teams apply an approach that is tailored to the situation and rigorously planned in advance.
- Assessment of the distribution of the masses to be lifted, the solidity and the points of fragility and choice of the packaging.
- Planning of movements within the environment by assessing access constraints and obstacles.
- Choice of lifting and handling equipment.
Handling and transport of the work
- Load stabilisation.
- Device balancing.
- Hanging and fixing the slings around the equipment, using specific protections to avoid any direct contact between the fixing system and the work, wearing handling gloves.
- Distribution of forces to avoid compression and damage to the structures.
Our vehicles and equipment for handling monumental works
We have modern, reliable and efficient equipment, allowing us to handle monumental and fragile art works in complete safety. Our vehicles and handling equipment are adapted to the access constraints of your premises and allow us to work in the most restricted environments.
HANDLING EQUIPMENT FOR MOVING MONUMENTAL WORKS
These machines are used as a means of lifting in areas of difficult access and when the load on the floor is restricted. There are different sizes, different heights (up to 22m) and different lifting capacities (up to 3T500). They can be used electrically or thermally. They can move under load or remain fixed and rotate.
These machines are used as outdoor lifting equipment. Different load capacities exist from 60T/M to 95T/M (capacity to lift 20T max at the foot of the crane arm) and boom lengths from 11 to 37m.
These are also used for outdoor lifting. Their lifting capacities and boom lengths (up to 78 m) are superior to those of a crane arm. We can use different models from 30T/M to 300T/M.
Electrically driven cranes, whose compact dimensions allow them to meet the needs in restricted environments. Their booms reach a height of 5 to 10 m. Their lifting capacities are those of their weights ranging from 3T to 25T. They can move under load.
Thermal and all-terrain machines, their lifting capacities reach 5T maximum. They can move under load or remain in a static and rotating position. They can be equipped with forks or a fixed boom or a 5T winch. Their booms reach up to 19m.
Thermal or electric machines, whose lifting capacities are from 1T to 15T maximum. These are lifting and handling devices intended for load transfers in our storage areas. Some are equipped with a fixed or hydraulic boom.